Monday, August 15, 2005

Big Hunk

I'm back, but I don't know quite what to do with myself. I'm tired of all my leisure time activities -- reading, watching, knitting -- yet after an initial burst of enthusiasm (our bedroom has never been cleaner) equally reticent to do chores. I did a good bit of shopping, for me (shoes, wallet, baking dish) so now I can't do that either. Vacation has ruined me! Now that I have broken free from the shackles of oppressive routines I find myself longing for direction.

Consumed by thoughts about:
1) What it's like to date after being divorced. How do you transition from a dozen years of marriage to Sex and the City without getting the giggles at inappropriate times?
2) The "Big Hunk" bar I just ate part of. How can nougat taste so good?
3) Why I really felt bad for the man rather than the woman after hearing that two distant acquaintances accidentally produced a baby during a random encounter despite trying to be careful.
4) Whether or not the occasional stomach cramps I've experienced lately have anything to do with the Nalgene of unfiltered water I chugged on trail.

Read: Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker - the best book I've read this year. Sort of Salinger-y but without the pretension. Don't be put off by the naked woman on the cover. Also Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell, who's always great, and The Writing on the Wall by Lynne Sharon Schwartz.

No comments: