Sunday, December 30, 2007

Monthly book post: December

December list:
Deep survival : who lives, who dies, and why : true stories of miraculous endurance and sudden death by Laurence Gonzales. One of my top ten books, I reread this when I realized I'd forgotten some of Gonzales's arguments.

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. I was a bit put off by the title, which is reminiscent of nearly everything on the Barnes & Noble paperback fiction table, but the novel reads like a more coherent Mrs. Dalloway (which is good, because Woolf is one of my favorites) and was engaging enough to read up until the moment we left to line up for the marathon.

Let the northern lights erase your name by Vendela Vida. Set mostly in Finland, this novel plunges you into the cold icy stoicism, humility, and beauty of northern Scandinavia, and into the life of a woman who abandoned her fiance to track down her father. The characters in this novel don't act as you expect them to, yet it's not altogether unbelievable.

The simple home : the luxury of enough by Sarah Nettleton and Frank Edgerton Martin. Pretty pretty pictures of real homes that values resources, functionality, and aesthetics over McMansion acreage.

Also read:
Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume by Jennifer O'Connell, Meg Cabot, Beth Kendrick, Julie Kenner, and Cara Lockwood. A series of essays: I love the first ones but my disappointment with the last half keeps me from recommending it.

No comments: