Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hometown

I never expected to spend my adult life in the city I grew up in.

I didn't have any grand visions of living in New York or San Francisco like other kids, but I never thought that the coffeeshop where I had deep discussions with high school friends would be the coffeeshop I would stop in after picking up wedding books with my mom. I never dreamed of being able to answer regarding a particular restaurant that yes, I'd been there... for prom. Stores and parks and streets that are just normal things to most people are riddled with memories both random and poignant.

When asked in high school about where I wanted to go to college, my standard answer was "Anywhere but here." I loved traveling and thought that it was a lame to go to college close to home... but I ended up really liking a school an embarrassing 45 minutes away. College made it natural to look for jobs in the area, and to be honest, I really love the city I grew up near and now live in. My dreams of having kids and growing old are always set against the familiar downtown skyline.

My adventurous roots have not died out, however. My life goals do include:
1. Uprooting our family and spending a year in another country, sometime after we have kids
2. Living for a year somewhere a. mountainous and b. near the ocean.

No comments: