Thursday, August 30, 2007

Monthly book post: August

I decided that I'm reading too many good books not to comment on them. If you don't like to read or don't like to read about what I read, then skip these posts.

August list:
Frenemies - Megan Crane
I felt kind of bad about this book because it looks like silly chick-lit, but damn, Crane really gets the silly games that women play, and I found myself recounting bits to Husband about how astute the book was. Not your average chick lit.

Partly Cloudy Patriot - Sarah Vowell.
If you haven't read anything of Vowell's and like, say, NPR, then get thee to the library because Vowell is hilarious and brilliant. She also has a love-it-or-hate-it voice (she is the voice of The Incredibles' Violet), which might tempt or dissuade you from the audio book version, which is how I read (listened to) the book.

Austenland - Shannon Hale
Like Jane Austen and want a quick, fun read? Read Hale's story about a woman who receives an all-expenses paid trip to a Jane Austen fantasy camp, and who struggles to find herself and possibly true love amidst the false trappings of recreated Regency England.

Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant - Daniel Tammet.
Tammet goes from a boy obsessively collecting chestnuts to a man who manages to have an adult, loving relationship with another person. Along the way he succeeds in reciting 22,514 digits of pi in just over five hours, is the subject of an international documentary, and shares his amazing language ability, evidenced by his learning conversational Icelandic in one week. Also read in audiobook.

The Sweet Edge by Alison Pick.
This novel just begs to be discussed. Adam and Ellen are a young Toronto couple on the cusp of either marriage or disaster. A one night's mistake upsets Adam's world, sending him on a two-month canoe trip in the wilds of Canada, leaving Ellen, abandoned, for a summer at her art gallery job. Any book featuring wild rivers is always a hit with me, and Adam's
swift mental and physical descent into danger kept me reading long past bed time.

To maintain my credibility as a writer (i.e. to not bore you to death), I'm not going to comment on the books that I read that I don't feel have a somewhat mass appeal. However, I'll duly warn you away from anything I read that is not recommended. Here's the rest that was just fine but didn't warrant commentary:

Without a Map - Meredith Hall
Two-part invention: The story of a marriage - Madeline L'Engle
Second Opinions: Stories of intuition and choice in a changing world of medicine - Jerome Groopman
Swapping Lives - Jane Green

No comments: