Friday, July 11, 2008

Paddling with my brother

Two nights in the Boundary Waters with Big Brother (and Husband)...
Will we survive without lapsing into sibling rivalry?
Without pushing each other's buttons?
Without tipping each other's boats?

















Kayak and canoe: a peaceful coexistence.

Of course we will, and did.

A few things I learned:
1. On a river, a kayak rules. Big brother deftly paddled through two portages Husband and I had to disembark and haul our gear through.

2. This product changed my life:























What you're seeing is a water filtration device that requires nearly no human effort. You fill the bag with water and let my best friend gravity do the work. Five minutes later you have a Nalgene canteen of fresh water. I was all, "Pills, schmills, I'm fine," but Big Brother talked me into it. The only danger is drinking so much you have to get up at night to pee.

3. A new tasty lunch treat: veggie jerky! About $1.19 at the co-op. Also (and I'm not sure why I never thought to try this) fake lunch meat packs in just fine without refrigeration. Even Big Brother was enjoying himself some tasty Tofurky slices...























All in all, it was a good trip.

No comments: