Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I voted!

I get a nice satisfying rush from having voted. Admittedly, it was a little sad at the polls, because there weren't too many boxes to fill in and I had that election day why-didn't-I-research-all-these-obsecure-offices-so-I-could-vote-knowledgably-like-the-responsible-citizen-I-consider-myself-to-be anxiety. Also the voting machine broke right in front of me, so it was a little disconcerting not to see my ballot zip confidently into the machine, but instead slip uneasily into a slot to be counted later.

I have this glorious fantasy of the results being announced at 2 a.m. and running outside to the dark wet street to be joined by my neighbors, cheering and cavorting, imbibe ourselves silly as we rejoice together the return to normalcy. I have that optimism that you get on election day when you can't image the converse coming true.

No comments: