Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Leo for President

I saw Leonardo DiCaprio today. He was giving a stump speech for Kerry on behalf on environmental groups. He wasn't bad - seemed like a normal nice guy, and covered well when he reminded us that we could still register absentee until Oct. 26. I'm quite ready to vote and be done with this (is anyone still making up their mind? Are they really swayed by those people holding signs on highway overpasses and causing accidents?) although I do fear the results. After getting burned in the last gubernatorial election, I have lost my naivety and blind faith. My grandma won't tell anyone how she votes - not even my mom - saying that it's a secret ballot and she doesn't have to share. I can see her point - I feel strongly about politics, but I don't enjoy going back and forth debating topics very much. Maybe because I did enough debate back in high school. Yet I don't want to be one of those lazy people who don't care enough to do something to better our nation. What a quandary.

So I have yet to find a productive way to fill my evenings now that grad school is done. I could volunteer, but I decided to take a break from the Girl Scouts (apart from the teen book club I lead, I'll still do that), and no other group really excites me at the moment. I considered taking a part time job, but I don't want to be tied to a schedule. I completed some home improvement projects, enough that more time isn't going to help me do more. And I've learned that unstructured time doesn't necessarily mean I'll do anything productive - like work on doing some freelance work. I used to be gung ho about starting a book club, but they seem so fraught with danger. I don't know if any of my friends really have weekday nights to devote to me either. As husband is starting more evening rehearsals, I need to think of something to do.

Reading: Calm Energy, Interpreter of Maladies
Eating: A lot of squash. Will I turn orange like with carrots?
Watching: a lot, since we joined one of those video store clubs. Just finished Mean Girls.

No comments: