Friday, June 17, 2005

Never again: baby barrettes

STAGES I HAVE GONE THROUGH
Compulsive kisser - preschool. I can't explain this one. Ended by: Kindergarten.

Goody-goody - Kindergarten-2nd grade. I used to write little love notes to my teachers. Ended by: enjoyment of mischief, disdain for other goody-goodies.

Popular kid - 4th-6th grade. I once suggested forming a club to exclude others (I think I read too many books). Ended by: Being tired of witnessing preteen cruelty, favoring nice friends.

Ardent (but not radical) feminist - tenth grade. I wrote an essay for English arguing that feminism simply meant the idea that women should be equal to men and wasn't anything to be scared of. Read Gloria Steinem. Ended by: getting over myself.

Grungy treehugger - ninth grade-junior year. Accessories: ET necklace, long hair, baby barrettes, mug of tea, hiking boots. Ended by: discovery of J.Crew, desire for lighter footwear.

Beat poet/Zen/Japanese obsession - senior year-sophomore year of college. Found great inspiration in The Dharma Bums. Doodled kanji in the margin of notebooks. Ended by: Realization that Kerouac was a misogynist, a real understanding of Japanese culture.


Last night I:
1. Had a manicure
2. Layed mulch
3. Baked cookies

Product placement: This entry is brought to you by Smartwool socks, which provided me my first blister-free hiking experience ever last weekend.

No comments: