Monday, October 31, 2005

Go away trick-or-treaters

Because I am tired of answering the doorbell and shoving the kittens off my as soon as they settle in.

SECRETS SECRETS
Anyone who knows me knows that I like to find out how people work. Why they do certain things. What events in their past have informed who they are. Not everyone shares my curiosity, and it’s interesting to see what kind of people volunteer stuff about themselves and what kind of people wait to be asked. But even the most loquacious won’t volunteer everything… and will wait to be asked or for it to come up before sharing. That made me think about my own “right questions”… the ones that few ask but if they did they’d learn a lot. It’s not like I’m harboring state secrets, and I’m not asking to be grilled. I just think it’s interesting… those questions. What’s on your list?

BOOKITY BOOKITY
Due Preparations for the Plague suckered me into reading and liking an international suspense book [by Janette Turner Hospital, fiction, story about an ’87 hijacking and the children who survived and their search for answers twenty years later.]

Better Off made me want to barter everything in trade and abandon cash [by Eric Brende, nonfiction, about a man and his wife living off the grid.]

Smart Women by Judy Blume made me want to write, because Blume is so adept at creating realistic and compelling characters [about two divorced women, their kids, and their complicated relationships with their ex-husbands.]

Whale Talk made excellent car listening, being light and fast-paced [by Chris Crutcher (young adult novel about a guy who starts a renegade swim team at his school and battles racist jocks.]

Summer at Gaglow made me want sisters but not the ones in the book because they were mean. [by Esther Freud, fiction, Germany, pre- and post-WWII life concerning three sisters at the family’s country estate.]

Right now I’m reading The Best American Travel Writing 2005, and it’s quite good so far, although I was so disappointed to open it up and see only one female author. I’m so sick of that.

No comments: