Thursday, January 19, 2006

English countryside

Today I decided that having only become minorly lost on my last two ventures around town, I could finally go on a run without stopping every 100 ft to consult my map in frustration. So I set off, jogging through campus and then finding myself alongside a beautiful green field. "Mmm... English countryside," I thought, ignoring the creepy vine-covered brick wall to my right that a sign confirmed enclosed a Quaker Retreat (a.k.a. graveyard).
Then I turned the corner and followed the path into some sort of industrial area. "Hmm," I thought, as I spotted barbed wire curls and army trucks. Then I nearly ran into a sentry carrying some large automatic killing machine.
I stopped. The other walkers and bikers carried on, the picturesque path apparently wandering right through the middle of an army station. Since this didn't fit in with the merry-countryside-pleasant-run thing I had going, I turned around and followed the path signs to innocent-sounding Osbaldwick instead. Mmm...Osbaldwick.

No comments: