Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The more things change...

5 weird things I thought/did as a kid
1. As a kid, (kindergarten or so), when asked what I wanted to be when I was older, I'd say "a mommy" and say that I wanted to have 10 kids.
2. I used to be terrified of someone breaking into the house, so I employed two tactics: Encouraging my brother to do his Miami Vice routine (which consisted of yelling, "Stop! Miami Vice" and whipping around corners with his fingers held in the shape of a gun), and keeping a note in my bedside table that indicated that I knew that a burglar could come in, because I thought that bad things like burglars happened only when you weren't expecting it, so if I expected it, it wouldn't happen.
3. I also used to hide my meat (especially hamburgers or ring baloney) in my napkin so I wouldn't have to eat it. When forced to choose between eating my meat or going without dessert, I always went without. I'd swipe finger fulls of peanut butter or take hits off the pickle jar as I cleared the table to make up for it.
4. I once chased my brother around the house with a fork after he teased me one too many times at the dinner table. When he tripped on a chair rounding a corner, I pounced on him and got one good stab in before I realized what I was doing.
5. I was nuts about penpals... always filling in those forms in the back of books to get them. I had one in California that I wrote to for a long time, and one in Australia. I also wrote to this girl in Texas for awhile but pretended to be a boy (I had some lame excuse why I had a girl's name). I'm not sure why I did that. I don't think she was convinced but she never said anything.

No comments: