Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Friends and the Married Girl

Being a smug married among singletons, while much easier than the reverse, is still odd. It doesn't really cause fights, but sometimes is a bit sad. I know we both wish at times that it were different - that I was single with them or they married with me. I was just going to type that maybe it'll be easier when they do get married... but then I realized that'll be a bit sad too. Selfishly, I enjoy their time now and don't want us all to drift off into houses with locked doors, babies, and home entertainment systems. And coffee spoons. Are Husband and I less fun post-nuptial? Probably. We certainly have fewer stories, the currency of social cred. Actually, to be fair, our stories are just different. Once our friends get married we'll have lots of stories to share with them. Suddenly our knowledge about when-your-relationship-gets-to-year-five and happily-ever-after:the-marriage-bed will be quite sought after.
Until then, my bar-hopping, free love friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a "singleton" with smug married friends (namely you), I would have to agree that it is a bit sad. You do your best to include us in your reindeer games, but as I have noted in the past, it is awkward to be friends with couples when you aren't part of a couple.

You and Husband A are just as much fun post-nuptial, though sometimes you try too hard.