Tuesday, May 17, 2005

No green thumb


There are many household skills that I never learned as a kid. Painting, for example. Laundry, for another. And also: gardening. The only weeds I'd pulled were for fun. So when we moved into our house, with its generous gardens for our small city lot, I felt overwhelmed. We managed to grow some veggies, but we also grew a lot of weeds. One year's experience has taught me many important things, such as:
1. Weeds need to be dug out, not "pulled" as implied.
2. You cannot trim bushes willy-nilly. They will die if you prune them at the wrong time.
3. Perennials, for all of their steady reliance, need maintenance after awhile.
4. What a hosta is. (I still don't know most of the things that grow, beyond tulips, hydrangea, irises, lilies, rhubarb, lilies of the valley, roses, and my newest acquaintance, phlox.)
So like all things I'm not very good at, I have a love/hate relationship with my garden. Love the work when it’s done, hate when I kill things (RIP burning bush). I took some "before" pictures so if it ever stops raining and we plant, I have something to compare our success with.

No comments: