Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Pie corruptions

Why do I want to turn all fruit into an alcoholic beverage? What happened to pie? After the success of the rhubarb slush, my first thought after picking a bowl of raspberries at Husband’s family cabin was to puree them, strain them, and mix them with something lemon- or lime-y and vodka. I think it’s all about the texture – the smoothness of a drink is nicer than the many-seeded berries or stringy rhubarb. And the heat of summer seems to justify an icy beverage.

Another pie corruption: the Dream Pie Blizzard. I reluctancy agreed to ordering one after Husband extolled the expected virtues of the pie crust bits in ice cream... and damn, he was right. It was amazing.

As our two-week vacation is less than two weeks away... my thoughts are consumed with vacation prep. Newspaper to cancel. Haircuts to get. Books to reserve. Provisions to lay in. I haven’t had a two-week vacation since... I can't remember... so this feels rather sinful.

I haven’t read anything good lately except listening to Tomorrow When the War Began, which besides a few nagging faults was really engaging. I really like Aussie voices... I should have made it a priority to date an Aussie man. But thinking about it, the Aussie guys I’ve met were more pasty milquetoast than Crocodile Hunter.

No comments: