Monday, September 11, 2006

Etiquette

A few months ago, in a fit of perversity, I read Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior. I guess, like with all reading, I like to see how other people live.

Apparently, other people carry handkerchiefs.

And have a very specific set of personalized embossed stationary.

I did learn a few things of interest:

- A woman is never Mrs. Firstname Lastname, i.e. Mrs. Laura Bush. She is Mrs. George Bush or Ms. Laura Bush or just Mrs. Bush. According to Miss Manners, some people find the convention sexist, but I like it because it encourages the use of Ms., which I prefer for its neutrality, to Mrs. But to each her own.

- The eternal holiday question resolved: Platters of food are passed to the left.
- The eternal event question resolved: Nametags go on the right.

- The proper way to eat asparagus is with your hands.
- Eating spaghetti by twirling the fork into the spoon is improper. Use only the fork.

There you have it, folks. You're now fully prepared to go to spaghetti and asparagus dinner and not make a fool of yourself. Where would you be without me?

No comments: