Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Guest blogger! Husband on comics, cont'd

Recommendations

Here they are. These are the comics that I love. These are things that I think you might like as well, oh, anonymous reader.

Oh...by the way there is an excessive use of the word 'awesome' in what follows. This is something I would not allow in my prose...but the world just isn't ready to bring back 'rad'.

The Holy Trinity of things comics. There are three books (two collected editions, one graphic novel) that every person lionizing things comics recommend to everybody…ever:

1. Watchmen. Written by Alan Moore. Pencils, inks and letters by Dave Gibbons. Coloring by John Higgins. This is the most artful super-hero comic I have ever read. It deconstructs the archetype and makes you think “damn…this could happen.” And then you flip the page and see a giant, naked, blue, radioactive man and realize…nope…it couldn’t. Crazy stuff aside, this is true literature and the illustrations are some of the industry’s finest. The only warning I can offer is that this book was released in 1986 and as such is four-color so the coloring isn’t that nuanced. I have only met one person who likes super heroes that doesn’t like this book…and his only criticism is that it is overrated.

2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Written, drawn and inked by Frank Miller. Colored by Lynn Varley. Again this is a superhero book but dang is it awesome. This deals with Batman at 50 trying to come back. He is old, tired and pissed. We watch him training himself to come back (training!) and then watch him kick butt. Frank Miller is somewhat of a wunderkind in Hollywood right now. 300 is a comic he did in 1998 (again with Lynn Varley) was made into a film. Sin City (which is entirely his creation) was also a film. He will now be directing The Spirit which is the creation of Will Eisner who is the God of all things comics (to the extent that he even coined the phrase graphic novel). Give it a read. It is dense but it is awesome.

3. Maus. Written and drawn by Art Spiegelman. When described in short this sounds like an exercise in bad taste. This is a comic book series dealing with the Holocaust with a cast of anthropomorphic animals. This is the story of Art Spiegelman’s grandfather’s experience in concentration camps. The Jews are represented by mice, the German’s by either cats or dogs, and the result is a completely heart-rending and informative experience. The fact that we are not looking at humans allow us the distance we need to deal with the horror. I have seen 14-year-olds read this in one sitting and senior citizens reading it as well--it is amazing. Everybody recommends this who has read it…everyone.

Superhero ongoing series that I love:

4. Justice Society of America. Written by Geoff Johns. Pencils by Dale Eaglesham. Inks by Art Thibert. Colors by Jeromy Cox. This is fun. It uses really old characters from the D.C. Universe and some new ones. It is great fun: crazy adventures and deeply character-driven stories.

5. The Fantastic Four. By 17,000,000 different writers and artists. Talk about crazy nonsense--the fantastic four wins. So much fun. A guy who eats planets. Parents with super powers finding child care. A guy made of rock who has a blind girlfriend. Come on. It’s awesome.

6. Powers. Written by Brian Michael Bendis with art by Michael Avon-Oeming. Here is the Hollywood pitch: A homicide unit specializing in super-hero crime. That is awesome. Also I love the dynamics of the detectives the villains and the whole world. It is atmospheric and super fun.

7. Various Spider-Man titles. Again, 17,000,000 million creators. Smart-ass person with super powers who simultaneously deals with crazy villains and figures out how to pay the rent. I even love the stupid issues. Of late in Amazing Peter Parker (Spider-man) has been a little full of pathos and nasty and things aren’t looking good for his marriage but damn is it fun. However Ultimate Spider-Man (which is essentially a retelling of the early stuff) is always awesome. Always. I would suggest that one for the newbies.

8. Daredevil. Written by many but the best have been Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker. The art has been by many but best by Frank Miller, David Mack, Alex Maleev, and Michael Lark. Matt Murdock is a blind guy whose four other senses were heightened but here’s the kicker…he doesn’t have fear. Oh, he is also a lawyer…and an informal detective. The single coolest thing about Daredevil is that his stories are Shakespearian in construct. His villains don’t punch him in the face and run away they make his life miserable. This is a strange thing to enjoy reading but damn is it entertaining.

Non-Super Hero and Slice of Life books:

9. Blankets. Written and drawn by Craig Thompson. The Hollywood pitch isn’t that inspiring. Guy is sad. Actually there is quite a bit more to it. If you are put off by super-hero fun then take a look at this one. Visually it is awesome and the story is very evocative of young love from the male perspective.

10. Mouse Guard. Written and drawn by Brian Petersen. High fantasy with mice. The protagonists fight crabs and snakes and stuff…it’s cool and has shockingly awesome visuals.

11.True Story Swear To God. Written and Drawn by Tom Beland. The title says it all. It is bittersweet but awesome.

12.Fun Home. Written and drawn by Alison Bechdel. The subtitle of this piece is A Family Tragicomic and it is fitting. It is funny in spots but always lyrical. The issues of sexuality have never been better dealt with in this medium (in my limited experience).

13. American Born Chinese. Written, Drawn and lettered by Gene Yang. Colored by Lark Pien. Just freaking awesome. Five different vignettes that draw a broader conclusion. Funny, sensitive but above all: awesome.

For T.V. Fans (of which I am not a member):

14. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Season 8. Written by Joss Whedon. Pencils by Georges Jenty and Paul Lee. Inks by Andy Owens. Colors by Dave Stewart. I have been “waiting for the trade" (often comics are collected in 6-8 issue arcs as trade paperbacks that are released 3 or 4 months after the periodical series reaches the end of the story arc) on this one. I haven’t read it yet. My friends who have (read: nerds) have loved it. I too will love it as I am one of the Buffy-Faithful (there is a pun there if you know the series (if not my geek is stronger than yours)).

15. Red Menace. Written by Adam Brody with Bilson and Demeyo (the latter two having had written the 1980’s Flash TV series). Penciled by Gerry Ordway (if you are a nerd it’s a big deal). Adam Brody is a super-hot TV star…according to my 12 year-old students. He was on the O.C. which was apparently a T.V. show. I’ve not seen it. But the comic is all about what if the red scare was not about commies but supers…its good. It’s short (115 pages). Give it a look.

16. Wolverine.Written by Marc Guggenheim. Art by Huberto Ramos. Guggenheim has worked on all of those Law and Order, CSI: Duluth andPolice-Cops shows (the latter two shows were cleverly cynical…he actually worked on Law and Order: SVU and CSI:Miami).

17. Young Avengers. Written by Allen Heinberg. Art by Jim Cheung. The stupidest, money-grab idea in the last 20 years becomes an awesome story with beautiful art. The story is a group of kids who have the powers of the Avengers (the Marvel super group) who are put to the test by both super villains and their own soap opera like trials and. All of this written by Gilmore Girls (and The O.C. though I have never seen that) writer Allen Heinberg. Where can I get mine?

18. The Astonishing X-Men. Written by Joss Whedon. Pencils and inks by John Cassiday. Colors by Laura Martin. If you want to sound like a comics glitterati the only X-book you can claim to like is Astonishing. I agree…it is great. Whedon’s feel for dialogue made popular a television series that lasted seven seasons based on a film that 18 people have seen (see next entry (ooh, he also was a writer on Toy Story). The art is clean, clear and kick-butt. If you are of a mind, check it out. Seriously the only comic that could get my money faster would be Aaron Sorkin writing…anything…ever…seriously he could make anything interesting. Even a list of recommended comics on a blog that normally has nothing to do with comics.

Lastly is a lightning-round-esque list of stuff I love (not like…love) for more info email Tacohead…she’ll forward it to me.

Newspaper stuff…

Peanuts by Charles Shultz. I get it...it's good...gotta say though...little depressing.

For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnson.…OK a Canadian is going to get my vote regardless…but the continuity and the clarity is amazing. I love it

F-Minus by Tony Carillo. Funny as Far Side and more incisive. Check it out.

Far Side by Gary Larson. Every time I laugh at this I feel I am closer the dark side.

Boondocks by Aaron McGruder. Right up my alley political satire...actively anti-racist and has a ton of heart.

Zits written by Jerry Scott and illustrated by Jim Borgman. Made me wish I had treated my parents better.


Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson. As much as I love comic books…I love Calvin more. This is the single greatest achievement in graphic fiction…ever. I kid you not. If it were not financially stupid I would own his whole run. I love it. Caveat emptor: I have been told that as far as sequential art goes whatever you most loved at 12 is what you are going to love the most the rest of your life. I think it holds up but I am biased.

Other worthy Comics I read monthly.

She-Hulk written by Dan Slott and more recently Peter David. Illustrated by many. This is a funny, funny book full of fanboy in-jokes. Not for the newbie.

New Avengers written by Brian Michael Bendis and art (most recently) by Francis Lenil Yu. Consistently fun and will be leading into the new super big crossover full of (wait for it...) awesome.

Cassanova written by Matt Fraction with art by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. I honestly can't tell you what this is about. I am a smartish guy and whenever I finish an issue as I am wiping the laugh-tears from my eyes I am thinking "what the hell just happened?"

Punisher: War Journal written by Matt Fraction with art by Ariel Ollivetti. I hate the Punisher. Dumb character but Matt Fraction is nearly getting to that Joss Whedon/Aaron Sorkin/ David Mamet level of awesome.

All-Star Superman written by Grant Morrison with art by Frank Quietly. I can't believe I like this comic. It is the only Superman book I would not ever miss. Crazy strange 1960's storytelling with a modern sensibility.

The Hulk titles written by Greg Pak. Trust me they are fun.

Teen Titans written by Sean McKeever. Again, fun.

Justice League of America written by Duane McDuffie art by various. All the big names in DC comics in one book...hello?!

Runaways currently written by Joss Whedon but created by Brian K. Vaughn with art by various. Best teen book there is.

Books to read in trade paperback.

Y: the last man. Written by Brian K. Vaughn with art by Pia Guerra. The story of the last man alive with many, many women. Sci-fi soap opera pathos...yum.

The Walking Dead written by Robert Kirkman with art from Tony Moore and others. This whole book happens after most zombie movies end. Yes there are zombies but they are a plot device to tell truly human stories.

Ex-Machina written by Brian K Vaughn with art from Tony Harris. The premise makes it sound lame...it is not. A guy with super powers becomes the mayor of New York City.

Fables written by Bill Willingham with art from Lan Madina and many more. Fairy tales are real and they walk among us but live in small enclaves not unlike Little Italy or China Town.

Crap there are so many more but I have definitely gone on too long. Thanks for letting me share stuff I like with you.
Best,
Husband

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Mouse Guard" by David Petersen