Thursday, November 29, 2007

Monthly book post: November

November list:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A year of food life, by Barbara Kingsolver. Barbara and her family commit to eating (mostly) local foods for one calendar year, growing most of their own food. I was so looking forward to this book that I was a bit let down when I finally read it. I wanted more what-life-was-really-like-living-local, and less politics and information. But I still enjoyed it overall... it really made me think of things differently and gave me some practical ideas about different ways to live. So, who wants to can tomatoes with me next year?

Identical Strangers: A memoir of twins separated and reunited by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein. Elyse and Paula were part of the Louise Wise adoption agency study that separated twins to explore the nature vs. nurture question... without telling them or their parents Alternating viewpoints, Elyse and Paula are unfailingly honest as they get to know each other (admitting that at times they wonder if they'd been better off not knowing) and investigate the study, tracking down the doctors who participated as well as other separated twins.

The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell. An murder mystery about a pair of sisters who were involved with their stepfather's death many years ago... and now that they are older, one finds herself wondering what really happened that day. An entertaining cast of characters forge unexpected connections as the plot twists and turns toward its conclusion... in all a captivating and well done book.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I wouldn't have read this book were it not for my book club (circuses are not a topic I'm usually drawn to), but it was a fun read. I'm not sure what we'll talk about... but if you're looking for something to keep you occupied on an airplane ride or to escape to for a weekend, this would suffice.

Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume. I love Judy Blume. There's such a perfect simplicity in her writing... and she captures all those what-you-think-are-taboo-at-the-time subjects of adolescence. I realized I hadn't read this one so I checked it out... a good read about a girl whose dad dies. My favorites of hers are Starring Sally J. Freedman, as Herself, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret, and Just As Long As We're Together. She's also written a few books for adults, such as her classic, Wifey, a story about a woman who is "tired of chicken on Wednesdays and sex on Saturdays."

Other books:
Gluten Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern
The Jane Austen Book Club
by Karen Joy Fowler (I really disliked this book!)

No comments: