Thursday, April 21, 2005

Five-star or five-person tent

I sometimes like to pretend I am the hip spontaneous type... the type B kind of person who cannot do math and who feels things instead of listening to their brain. But I am not. I am the nine-year-old who asked for a hanging file system for my desk drawer so I could organize things. And now, I am the person who created an H Family Vacation Preference Indicator survey to assess where we should go on vacation next year. Yes, I am my dad. But to my credit, the indicator was useful - we are very close to booking a place, and we've only been at this for a month! You'll recall we are months ahead of the debacle that was last year's decision process.

Left to my own devices, Husband and I are frugal, thrifty travelers... seeking out clean nice facilities, although of the B&B, tent, or cabin sort. But I can fit in as well in tent living and buying meals from the grocery store as I can in five star hotels and gourmet meals. Give me a giant ocean front room and I will nod coolly to the concierge and say, "This looks fine." I melt for good service, though, and cannot resist cooing over all of the little extras... such as people coming around with Evian spritzers, bowls of strawberries or sorbet, offering to clean my sunglasses or fetch a CD player. Uno mas!

But I really can't stand anything in between. It has to be all the way nice or just basic. There's nothing worse than a Best Western Potomac View.

Husband and I had a Small Fight this week. We don't often have fights of any size. This is an event! You should have had ringside seats! But we have reconciled and can now enjoy the equally infrequent act of making up.

No comments: